Tuesday, July 15, 2014

God made life like a fishing trip...and, I feel like a 10 year old.

God made life like a fishing trip, and I feel like a 10 year old.

Right now our house seems huge and empty.  Tobi and the kids are at the lake enjoying the summer at Grandma and Grandpa’s cabin.  Recently, I was able to spend a week with them there.  It was great to unplug form the world (sort of).  I still had to check emails and keep my phone handy, but we really had time to focus on just our family.

Time to go fishing.  
Got the license and worms. 
Check the tackle box.
Grab the poles.
Get the life jackets.
Gas up the boat.
"Hurry up, Dad, the fish are waiting!”  

It’s an awesome place to be: floating on the quiet lake, hooks in the water, feet up, surrounded by my favorite kids.  I could do this for hours, maybe forever, just sitting and waiting.  Most of the time, I don’t even care if we catch anything.  

This year turned out to be different than other years that we've spent on that lake.  Usually, we manage to catch a few, but this year the Northern are going crazy.  I find myself, not sitting, but moving from one kid to the next.  

Take out the hook.
Debate whether it’s a keeper.
Put it in the live well or let it go.
Wash my hands in the lake.
Move to the next fish on the next kid’s pole.  

Every once in a while, I get enough time to cast out and catch my own.  This is awesome!  With each fish, it is more exciting.  

Then, a snagged weed, a lost hook, a fish gets off, and suddenly someone in the boat it not having a good time anymore.  Frustration comes out of his mouth.  Impatience starts to build.  

“It’s time to move to a different spot, Dad.”  

Then, I said it, “Relax son, that’s why it’s called fishin', not catchin'.”  (No offense Dad, but I think I’m becoming my father.”)  

For a 10 year old, the prep takes too long, no fish is “too small to keep,” and it’s the catching he’s after, not the fishing.  But, on that lake I could sit and be still all day.  

But, I’m not at the lake anymore.  I’m at home in this big, quiet, empty house, thinking about our adoption journey…. And, I feel like a 10 year old boy.  The prep takes too long, no child should be thrown back.  It’s the catchin' I’m after…..damn the fishin'.

A friend once told me, you have to prepare yourself and then “Wait for God to show up.”  We have always told our children that “Patience is a gift from God.”  But, I am not doing so well with those concepts right now.  I want what I want, and I want it right now.

I am absolutely confident that God put adoption on our hearts.  I have total faith that this is the path he has set before us.  And, I know that the “hurry up and wait” that is happening in our lives right now, is also in his plan.  He has seen us through every test.  He has been with us on every journey.  And, He has filled our nets with abundant blessings….. but, I wish He would hurry up.

As frustrating as this process can be, I know that He will make it all clear when the time is right.  In the mean time, I am praying for patience, hoping for miracles, counting our blessings, and asking for clear vision.


Thank you to all of our friends and family that have been praying with us, and supporting our fund raising
efforts.  It seems that money, time, and patience are the resources that I struggle to have enough of.  I sometimes forget that my wife, my children, and you are the resources God gave me to sustain through anything. 

Thank you for your support. 


No comments:

Post a Comment