Monday, July 28, 2014

Our Mission

While the kids and I get re-adjusted to life at home after being gone for almost a month, I wanted to share with you a few words from Brian this past Friday morning:

Here I am again, wearing this uniform and driving In the opposite direction as my family.  We have been married 17 years, I've been in the military for 16 years, our oldest child is 15 years old.  Husband, father, soldier... Is this the worst and best combination?  How has it worked for so long?  Can I keep it working well?  I have spent countless hours, days, in this uniform wondering if I am really the father and husband I have always aspired to be.

The job I do in the army is the one that no one wants to talk about.  It is not glamorous, or sexy.  It is violent and terrible. As a Christian man, it has been my greatest point of internal conflict.  But, I believe.  I believe that it was God who made me a soldier.  To protect others from the wolves.

Likewise, I believe that it was God who made me a husband and father.
To be the best possible partner to an amazing woman.  
To teach these wonderful children to be strong and caring.  
To lead my family in the faith.

I have always know that I can not do this alone. I can not possibly give this woman and these children the life they deserve.  I can not be a business leader in the civilian world, and a military leader at the same time.  
But, I do.  
I do and I am because God has given me the strength to follow his commands for me.


Recently, I was discussing our new adoption journey with a friend.  We are about the same age.  He is divorced, has a failing career, and (in his words) is failing as a father.  
He asked me flippantly, "How do you have the strength, how do you know you can do this?"  
I quickly responded, "Because, I'm superman!"  

Then, I gave a quick glance at him and saw the look on his face.  His question was clearly no flippant.  He was completely serious.  The conversation immediately took on a different tone.

We talked for over two hours about faith and finding strength in God.  He already knew everything I had to say, but he had forgotten and simply lost his way.  The conversation was a sobering reminder to me not to allow my fears and doubts to creep in.

As we have been starting up the adoption process again, I (we) have had a few doubts...money, time, ability to parent more than the five children we have now. (These are just a few...)

But, I am newly reminded that this is not a selfish endeavor that we have created in our own heads.  
This is a command that God has put In our hearts.
 And, HE will always give us the strength to carry our this mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment